Wednesday

Brooklyn Bound

If you are able to look past the sea of Wayfarers, plaid shirts and woollies in July, Brooklyn has been revolutionizing style in New York City lately.  Credit a struggling economy or this generation of twenty-somethings who are looking for more of the comforts of home, the exodus from Manhattan has blessed this outer borough with legions of artists, craftsman and designers.  Great news if you are a couple planning on getting hitched in Brooklyn, too.  


Most of my favorite bloggers reside in Brooklyn: Brooklyn Bride (duh), 100 Layer Cake, Design Sponge (to name a few) and they'll tell you what Spike Lee has been saying for years (y'all should have just listened to the man, but please don't drink his vodka); Brooklyn is DOPE.  Check it out for yourself:


One Girl Cookies in Cobble Hill.  Their mini cookies are perfect for a buffet or packaged favors.   I would actually suffer the G train for a little Lucia square right about now.  Also notable; the staff is as warm and friendly as you could hope.  


I feel like a bit of a sycophant when it comes to Saipua.  What Sarah and the gang over there does is pretty much a mirror image of what I'd want to be if I had a retail flower shop.  Her design aesthetic is ridiculously amazing; it has a vintage, natural quality but with a modern flair.  After 15 years in the flower business, this is what still inspires me.


Even though I feel like I have a neon sign over my head saying "Over Thirty" when I go into Williamsburg, it's worth it to take a peek around the Artists & Fleas market.  Whether it's vintage milk glass , old records, or the latest collection from an indie clothing designer, expect to find something you have to bring home with you.


 
Okay seriously, this place is in Brooklyn?  It kind of makes me almost want to get married.  It's the Old Stone House located in Park Slope.  Replicated after a Dutch farmhouse, this joint was built in 1699 and looks more North Shore Boston than Central Brooklyn.  Their space rental fees seem way reasonable if you ask me.  I received an email from Kim at OSH and she informed me that  rental fees help underwrite their educational and cultural events and fund garden maintenance at the park, so having your bash here is philanthropic too!


So you booked the Old Stone House and need a caterer.  The Jewels of New York is made up of the incredible Diana Yen and Lisel Arroyo, and their menus are as lovely as their website.  The girls are not only talented chefs (Devils on Horseback is a deadly sin it's so good), but their styling is to die for.   

One thing is for certain; Brooklyn is HOT right now, so get in while the getting is good.  Cheers!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment